As part of #TheItalianWayUAE initiative, Hilton Dubai Jumeirah’s Bice Ristorante chef has revealed how to recreate one of the venue’s most popular dishes at home.
Chef Davide Gardini is aiming to bring classic Italian dining to peoples’ households despite movement restrictions. His recipe for tagliatelle al ragu is as follows:
800g Chuck of beef (or sirloin), 200g boneless chicken leg, 100g celery, 100g carrots, 100g onion, extra virgin olive oil 100ml, 50g tomato paste, 700g peeled tomatoes, 500ml vegetable broth, three bay leaves, five cloves, nutmeg to taste, salt to taste black pepper to taste.
For pasta dough: 400g flour, five whole eggs and 2g fine salt.
• Preheat a large pan, before drizzling it with extra virgin olive oil.
• Dice your carrots, celery and onions.
• Once the pan is sizzling, add your chopped carrots. Cook until golden.
• Add celery and fry until it has softened.
• Mix in your onions and cook together for two minutes, stirring regularly to avoiding sticking, before adding in your cloves and bay leaves.
• Once the vegetables are nicely coloured, add your minced meat and cook until golden brown, nd all the liquid from the meat evaporates.
• Sprinkle in your salt, pepper and freshly ground nutmeg to taste.
• Mix in your tomato paste well to ensure even spread across all ingredients.
• Pour in the vegetable broth to add moisture to the dish.
• Once the pan starts to boil, add your peeled tomatoes.
• Adjust the heat to medium-low heat and allow to simmer for about two hours, taking care to add a little vegetable broth from time to time if the sauce appears to be drying out.
• Arrange ﬂour in a bowl, before mixing in salt and eggs – one by one.
• Combine until dough becomes smooth and lump free.
• Wrap dough with cling ﬁlm and leave it to rest for 20 minutes.
• Once rested, cut the dough into four pieces of 120g each.
• Using a rolling pin, roll each piece of dough to a thickness of 2mm.
• Fold the dough in half, and then in half again.
• Cut strips 2 cm wide.
• Prepare a pot of boiling, salted water.
• Add your pasta for 3 minutes. • Once cooked, drain the pasta and add it to the pan with the ragu.
• Top of with Parmigiano cheese and serve hot.